Friday, February 12, 2010

The Management Myth

The Management Myth

I can't but solidarize with someone kicking the manager when the manager isn't looking, having been mostly on the receiving end of performance management myself.

That disclaimer having been made, I can say that Eckel's (and, even more so, the "New-Yorker" article authors's) - position is something I find very revealing and sympathetic. But I am far from being what you call a disinterested party, and I know it.

And, when I think about that, I can find that modern programmer is actually managed better than your average intellectual worker of the past: we are permitted to keep a semblance of self-respect most of the time. One can say this is what "scientific management" is really about, all the "great manager" myths notwithstanding.

No comments: